The high quality presenters that thrill our attendees are the primary reason that our conference is considered amongst the top venues in the country. Presenters also receive a significant discount on registration. Whether you are a first-time or returning presenter, your presence makes a difference.
There are two types of sessions to choose from this year:
- Concurrent (1 Hour)One or more presenters addressing an audience.
- Bring Your Own Laptop (2.25 Hours)Presenters deliver content in a more interactive, hands-on environment where audience brings own laptops or other devices.
Heather Hurley, our Presentations Committee Chair, has read lots of proposals. Here are her tips for writing a winning one:
1) Be thoughtful and thorough in your descriptions: We need you to create a short (30 word) program description and a longer presentation description. The short program description should grab our attention; if it gets us excited then it will get our attendees excited. The longer presentation description doesn’t have a word limit but should be long enough to adequately describe the session in greater detail. This description should include the tools and ideas you will share and the technology standards you are addressing and may extend to the manner of your presentation, the research that supports your presentation, etc. Sharing more in the long description allows us to make an informed decision.
2) Be specific in your audience, content, and knowledge area selections. There are presentations that apply to general audiences, but many sessions work better when you plan with a specific audience in mind. VSTE serves many different constituent groups and we like to have sessions that target specific needs as well as sessions that apply equally to all.
3) Find ways to weave our theme, “The Tech Effect: Empowering Kids”, into your session. Think of fun ways to incorporate our theme however you choose and help join in the fun of presenting at the VSTE Conference.
4) Submit! Don’t be afraid to take that far-out idea you have been mulling over and turn it into a session description. New and exciting ideas are one of the reasons the VSTE Conference is a great place to be!